Saturday, June 1, 2013

The Hunger Games trilogy*Spoilers*

The Hunger Games is a 50/50 thing to me. I love it, and I hate it. I love it because it is entertaining, and has some decent twists. I hate it because the writing is just bad, and Suzanne Collins should learn to show more rather than tell. Unfortunately, I don't have the book on hand with me. I brought it back to the library. But there's a lot of examples in here that should have been shown, and not seen. Not to mention, the dialogue wasn't very good either, and Katniss almost never had to make a tough choice. Sure, you can argue that entering the games itself was a tough choice, but I feel as if it would have been more riveting had Katniss faced the difficult task of killing Rue or Peeta.

The ending was just a complete cop-out to me. I'd rather Katniss had killed Peeta, and lived with that decision. Then tried to rebel in Catching Fire. But of course, you can't kill off one of the main characters. I may be wrong, but Kattniss constantly making tough decisions throughout the games, would have been a great emotional rollercoaster.

With Catching Fire, while it was entertaining, I also felt as if that was just a re-tread of the first book. Except with more and more telling instead of showing. I did this, we did that. Why can't we see it? Would have been great character development for Katniss and Peeta. And don't get me started on Mockingjay. I couldn't even finish it.

Overall, I do believe Suzanne Collins put together an entertaining story. I just wish she used more vigorous writing instead of going half way. It doesn't matter if I like it though. What matters is that the fans like it,  and that her books sell well. And for that, I congratulate Suzanne Collins, and wish her the best in her future novels. I'm not one of those pretentious literary snobs that are going to berate her and say that this is trash. Because to be honest, don't we all read to just be entertained? I love better writing, characters, and whatnot. But fun entertainment is harmless. And sometimes we need that. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment